Could you eat for $32 a week?
Join The Virginia Food Stamp Challenge!
November 4th-8th, 2013
The Food Stamp Challenge offers a glimpse of what life can be like for the nearly 1 million Virginians who struggle to put food on their tables. Most participants take the challenge for one week, budgeting about $32 for meals – the average weekly food stamp benefit in Virginia.
While this exercise falls far short of presenting the full range of struggles that low-income families encounter week after week and month after month, it does a solid platform for education, empathy, and action.
So join us for the challenge! Contact LaTonya Reed
- Each person should budget $32 for ALL food and beverages to be consumed during the Challenge week.
- Only eat food that you purchase for the Challenge. (Be sure to count eating out in your budget and do not eat food that you already own, excluding spices and condiments.)
- Avoid consuming free food and drinks (excluding water), particularly at receptions and briefings.
- Keep track of food receipts and take note of your experiences throughout the week.
Share your Challenge experience:
At VPLC, we will chronicle our individual and shared Food Stamp Challenge experiences on our website, Facebook page, and Twitter account. We invite you to share your experiences as well. For example, you can:
• Send us a picture of what you purchased – and what you couldn’t afford to purchase;
• Take a video of your shopping trip; or
• Keep a journal about your days on the Challenge and send us notable entries.